Maroondah City Council and Transition Towns Maroondah have partnered to host an exciting Earth Hour event.
This family friendly event will include the Dreamer in the Deep, a puppet show featuring the different species that live in Australian coastal waters. It will be followed by a screening of the Lights out for the Reef documentary and then during the Earth Hour lights out we will have ‘Tales by Torchlight’ with the sharing of sustainability stories.
Address: Federation Estate, 32 Greenwood Ave, Ringwood
Date: Saturday 29 March, 2014
Time: 6.45 PM – 9.30 PM
Come along and be part of the most exciting community festival in Melbourne’s East!
Date: Sunday 10th November 2013
Duration: 10am – 5pm
Venue: Town Park, Croydon
Each year more than 20,000 people join in the range of free and low cost activities that are on offer throughout the day including community displays, tasty food vendors, market stalls, roving entertainment and amusement rides.
Additional continuous activities are located at the:
- Century 21 Community Expo
- Costco Main Stage
- EastLink Fun and Fitness Arena
- Eastland Kids Kingdom
- Bank of Melbourne Eco Village
- DENSO Cultural Area
- Youth Precinct
For more details click here: http://www.maroondahfestival.com/
Did you know that the Maroondah City Council has a range of information on the following topics:
- Tackling Weeds on Private Land
- Can Australian Plants Become Weeds?
- Canopy Tree Removal
- Native Vegetation Removal
- Growing Indigenous – It’s for the Birds
- Native Birds Found in Maroondah
- Mammals of Maroondah
- Amphibians of Maroondah
These brochures are available from Council’s Customer Service on 1300 88 22 33.
The school holidays have just begun and our local council has a great competition on for kids! This will certainly keep them occupied for a while!
Council is asking kids to design an image that represents recycling. There are fantastic prizes to be won and entries close on Monday 21 October 2013!
Are you the next recycling superhero 🙂
Maroondah City Council has partnered with Low Energy Supplies and Services (LESS) to offer residents a program to help save energy and includes the following:
- competitively-priced LED downlights
- free energy monitors (when minimum program requirements met)
- free and reduced-cost draught sealing
- rebates on new energy-efficient TVs
Households may also be eligible for free standby power controllers, CFL light bulbs and water saving showerheads (please see flyer for more details).
We currently have two fantastic limited offers for program participants!
1. Households who have at least 8 LED downlights installed to replace halogen downlights receive the LEDs at a reduced cost ($25 each, normally $29 each), plus a free energy monitor. This offer ends 30 June 2014. (Note this applies to particular downlights so phone LESS to see if your household is eligible for this offer).
2. A limited number of concession card holders receive a subsidy to put towards the cost of replacing their halogen downlights.
To find out more, or to make a booking call LESS on 1300 781 998 or go to http://www.livegreen.com.au
Want to know what happens to your recycling once its picked up from the curb?Do they really recycle our kerbside bins? How do they recycle our waste?
All these questions can now be answered!
Maroondah City Council is running free tours of the recycling facility that processes kerbside recycling and also of Replas, who turn plastics into products such as park benches! The tour will be held on Thursday 28 February 2013.
For more information (and to make a booking, which is a must) please contact the Council’s waste education provider EnviroCom on 9703 5288.
If any of our readers do attend, please send us an email letting us know how the day went. We would love to hear from you.