On Friday the 30th of August the Victorian Landcare Awards were held at Government House in Melbourne. The ‘I care, We care, Landcare’ video was shot on the day. Below is the link to the video. Check it out!
YouTube link: https://youtu.be/zFnNCD2Lrx4
Facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/377490069331953/posts/773313486416274?sfns=xmo
Last Friday, 30th August, six representatives of Heathmont Bushcare gathered in excitement at Government House for the presentation of the 30th annual Landcare Awards. Heathmont Bushcare was nominated for the work we do in the Heathmont area, not only in regenerating the natural bushland, but for our engagement with the broader community through our association with Heathmont 3rd Scouts and all the valuable work done by our volunteers.
Unfortunately we were unsuccessful in gaining a prize, but it was inspiring to hear of the wonderful work being done by other environmental groups. It was heartening to hear that the necessity of taking better care of the environment, starting with the local environment, is getting through to more and more people. We are inspired to strive even harder in our efforts to manage and improve the local bushland, and to encourage more people to join us in our efforts.
Great opportunity to continue improving our Dandenong Creek – your input sought!
Melbourne Water is commencing the next round of Enhancing our Dandenong Creek (EODC) and is developing a project/program list for the next 5-years.
So far and based on the balance of community values and stakeholder input, this comprises:
- Monitoring and citizen science
- Enforcement and compliance
- Pollution treatment (WSUD)
Parklands, Floodplains, Billabongs and Wetlands
- Billabongs, wetlands, parks and floodplain improvements focusing on biodiversity, ecology and habitat
- Geomorphology, form and naturalisation (potential daylighting projects)
Amenities and Access
- Access review and masterplan
Enhanced Traditional Owner Values and Activities
- Initial scoping with Traditional Owners. Activities likely to fall across other themes, but may include specific activities or actions that come about from engagement
- Improve reporting – ie with Council
Communications, engagement and behaviour change activities
- Foundational program than runs across and supports all of the above projects,
- Specific activities, initiatives (particularly for education)
- Coordinating and driving engagement
Kicking off Parklands, Floodplains, Billabongs and Wetlands!
The Parklands, Floodplains, Billabongs and Wetlands project was the top opportunity which emerged, and one with a lot of potential to deliver significant outcomes for Dandenong Creek.
It encompass a number of opportunities and actions that have been previously identified:
– Wetland and billabong rehabilitation program (Winton, Scott St, Koomba Park, exploring new wetlands etc)
– Floodplain and parkland rehabilitation program (focusing on VicRoads and Parks Vic areas in particular, in particular the Dandenong Valley Parklands)
– Improving amenity and physical form by reinstating natural features
– Weed control and revegetation along Dandenong Creek and tributaries
Please look over this and identify any specific projects you want to further explore or provide other project ideas (preferably with specific locations). Please add your ideas to the attached “…Ideas List: document or email Roger at Roger.Lord@maroondah.vic.gov.au
Looking forward to hearing from you and just letting you know we already have a project scoped and identified by Brian for Bungalook Creek (refer links below).
Coordinator Environmental Planning
Melbourne Water project proposal
Cos This is a free event
Contact Jen Ellison 1300 368 333
Saturday, 07 September 2019 10:00AM – 12:00PM
This talk by Black Snake Productions will equip you with knowledge about local snake and spider species and how to calmly and effectively deal with a potentially life-threatening situation if it arises.
This session will focus on:
- Safety awareness and preventative measures
- First aid treatment of snake and spider bites
- Emergency response procedures
- Local snake and spider identification and behaviour
Identifying snake and spider habitat. This is a free event, bookings essential – please use the form below (find at link above.).
Cost This is a free event
Contact Jen Ellison 1300 368 333
Congratulations to all the members of Heathmont Bushcare on our nomination for this award. Fingers crossed that we are successful!
Nomination Certificate – Heathmont Bushcare
What a lovely morning it was, spent outdoors at Dexter’s Bush on the banks of the Dandenong Creek in the company of like-minded people. As always, our work can be measured in the number of bags of weeds removed, and the enjoyment measured in the number of laughs. On both counts, it was a very successful morning. Of particular note, it was also Lix Dexter’s 90th birthday a few days prior – congratulations and happy birthday Liz! It was a privilege to be able to share a cup of tea and a slice of birthday cake with both Mick and Liz after the exertions of the morning’s work.