Great opportunity to continue improving our Dandenong Creek – your input sought!
Melbourne Water is commencing the next round of Enhancing our Dandenong Creek (EODC) and is developing a project/program list for the next 5-years.
So far and based on the balance of community values and stakeholder input, this comprises:
- Monitoring and citizen science
- Enforcement and compliance
- Pollution treatment (WSUD)
Parklands, Floodplains, Billabongs and Wetlands
- Billabongs, wetlands, parks and floodplain improvements focusing on biodiversity, ecology and habitat
- Geomorphology, form and naturalisation (potential daylighting projects)
Amenities and Access
- Access review and masterplan
Enhanced Traditional Owner Values and Activities
- Initial scoping with Traditional Owners. Activities likely to fall across other themes, but may include specific activities or actions that come about from engagement
- Improve reporting – ie with Council
Communications, engagement and behaviour change activities
- Foundational program than runs across and supports all of the above projects,
- Specific activities, initiatives (particularly for education)
- Coordinating and driving engagement
Kicking off Parklands, Floodplains, Billabongs and Wetlands!
The Parklands, Floodplains, Billabongs and Wetlands project was the top opportunity which emerged, and one with a lot of potential to deliver significant outcomes for Dandenong Creek.
It encompass a number of opportunities and actions that have been previously identified:
– Wetland and billabong rehabilitation program (Winton, Scott St, Koomba Park, exploring new wetlands etc)
– Floodplain and parkland rehabilitation program (focusing on VicRoads and Parks Vic areas in particular, in particular the Dandenong Valley Parklands)
– Improving amenity and physical form by reinstating natural features
– Weed control and revegetation along Dandenong Creek and tributaries
Please look over this and identify any specific projects you want to further explore or provide other project ideas (preferably with specific locations). Please add your ideas to the attached “…Ideas List: document or email Roger at Roger.Lord@maroondah.vic.gov.au
Looking forward to hearing from you and just letting you know we already have a project scoped and identified by Brian for Bungalook Creek (refer links below).
Coordinator Environmental Planning
Melbourne Water project proposal